Thursday, June 19, 2008

Dr. Octagonecologyst by Dr. Octagon




Lyricism C+:
I liked the rhyme scheme to almost every track but none of the lyrics stood out. Plus I didn't like the constant use of the words "Doo Doo". It wasn't lyrically bad but it wasn't lyrically special. Just average at best. Still good shit and like I said it was a different take on rhyming in general he switched it up. Nice rhyme scheme but just not enough.


Production C+:

The production had some nice beats to it but honestly there wasn't a single beat that stood out. Nice scratching and mixing on "Bear Witness" and such. Not bad beats just nothing that was really too good. It was all just average beats that kinda reminded me of the last one.


Creativity A+:
This is one of the most creative albums I've ever heard. Proving that Hip Hop can stay alive just by more albums like this. It seemed like so much went into this it's hard to not like it. It is just such a creative album and a new look at music and what music can be. The sheer creativity is dope in itself. I mean come on a DOctor who raps is genius. Of course Kool Keith came up with it. It's not just the idea of the album thats creative but every track tells you something about this character being portrayed.


Skits A-:

Some of the best skits I've ever heard make this album entertaining. A Trip To The Gynecologyst is genius. I found my self laughing and entranced by each one. They really set the tone for this album.


Final Words: At first I didn't like this album too much. This isn't really my style of music but I respect genius so I gave it a higher grade just for that. It walks the line of Genius and Wack and it crosses genius. I don't suggest listening to it if you love Mainstream music only but if you want somthing new and interesting then bump it. All in all it's a nice LP


GRADE: B+



-C.S.

No comments: