Friday, September 5, 2008

Shwayze - Shwayze










Shwayze is apparently great when you’re high, so keep in mind…I’m not haha. This is just on a music/relaxation POV.

1) Roamin’

Decent intro track. I liked the beginning, but it got old quick. The chorus is laid back, and the first verse is nice. But, then the second verse came around, and it felt like the song dropped. Talk about unoriginal and uninspired lyrics: “I’m the shit, ma, that’s the smell/The next big thing, yeah, can’t you tell?”


2) Lazy Days

Lazy track, real laid back. Track about LA, falling in love, shit like that. Not that good a song, but hell, if that’s how life is in LA, count me in for living there haha. Nice guitar beat, real lazy feel, so they captured that aura pretty well, but in general, the track is sorta soporific. A bit too laid back for me. Liked the chorus though: “Lazy days in Los Angeles/If it ain’t your parents it’s the damn police…”


3) Corona And Lime

Hate on this song all you want, I can guarantee you two things: A) girls get easier when they hear this song lol, and B) Driving down I-95 with your cousin, top down = chiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllllllllll. No, the lyrics aren’t great, but this is such a chill, laidback track. However, I can definitely see it getting pretty damn annoying after a few spins


4) Buzzin’

Another laid back track, one of my favorite on the album. Good chorus, much less annoying than Corona & Lime. Lyrics are better too, some lines I enjoyed (though they aren’t the most creative): “She said boy you’re crazy/Nah, I’m Shwayze.” Though, to be fair, he’s shown absolutely no range…everything’s about weed, beer and women.


5) Don’t Be Shy

Oh look, it’s the last few songs mixed together! Lyrics are better though, save for a lot of random lines there for basically no reason (cept he may have been high writing/recording). The chorus is ok, but really random. Just a generic song, its OK.


6) Hollywood

I liked Shwayze’s raps a lot more on this track. Talks more about trying to make it as a rapper, and wonders why he’s rhyming...Well, in the first verse anyway, then it goes back to generic. Still, nice lyrics overall, good vibe. Nice chorus too: “Some say when it rains it pours/Hollywood ain’t no place for lovers anymore/It ain’t no place for us…” Unfortunately, there’s some lame shit in the middle and near the end, repeating lines, doing weird sound effects, etc. Still, another favorite on the album.


7) Polaroid

Had be bumping my head quickly. Nice chorus/beat. Less acoustic feel on this one, more electric guitar. Nice lyrics as well, funny lines like: “Legs in the air like a goddamn gymnast/Please God, I beg for forgiveness” and he has a faster flow. Another track I really like from the album (though the repetition at the end of “They call me Shwayze, kinda like Patrick” is stupid as fuck)


8) James Brown Is Dead

Nice song, especially since it shows SOME artist depth. Talks about James Brown’s death, finding out about it, other shit like that (obviously). Nice chorus, simplistic but sounds good. Good lyrics, nice instrumental too. Another nice track, and, like I said, some different subject matter.


9) Lost My Mind

Breaking up with a girl is apparently the theme (or her leaving? Sorta varies). Bad mix of sadness and chillness. Decent lyrics, but I wasn’t feeling the chorus and the instrumental was..meh. Decent track, nothing more nor less.


10) Mary Jane

Should get a guest reviewer for this, someone who smokes weed, since I don’t (yet hahaha). Still…can give some feed. Faster tempo, and lyrics are pretty good. The singer is the one who does the entire song (or at least, it sounds like it). It’s a decent song, I liked some lines: “She sat right next to me/And she made me tell the truth like ecstasy.” But in general, its just decent.


11) Lazy Susan

Would it be stupid for me to say “lazy song” again? Cause it is. Wasn’t feeling the beat, nor the instrumental. Surprisingly, feeling the lyrics a lot though. She cheated on him (I guess?). Decent storytelling, pretty good lyricism…”Damn, don’t do to me like you did before/I just kept my mouth shut, and then we fucked some more.” Wish the instrumental was better, but meh, what can you do. Nice track lyrically, probably his best as far as the verses go.


12) Flashlight feat. Dave Navarro

Fuck this song. Don’t get me wrong, some of it’s ok. The beat’s pretty good, laidback once again. But the lyrics…wow. He repeats lines “shit is good, yeah shit is good”, and he highlights the weirdest shit: “Yeah I am, and I’m big in Japan/ [sound effect] My dick in my hand, and my dick in my hand.” WTF? And the chorus is decent, half of the time, I like it, other half I don’t. But in general…well hell, give me the beef, I’ll destroy it compared to this.


13) Bonus Track

Yeah, sang about smoking weed. I’m losing interest in this album, this is the last track right? Nice chorus, I guess. Makes me wanna smoke. Verses are ok, but very, very forgettable. Just a random, generic song.



Grade: C-
- DKE

No comments: