Saturday, September 6, 2008

Blu - Lifted (EP)




















For the record, Blu's Below The Heavens with Exile? Classic.

1) Another Day
Great, mellow beat, with some real nice lyrics. No chorus, just straight spittin’, with Blu touching on subjects ranging from why he’s rapping, talks about other career choices, and ends up on how his girl’s a hypocrite. Nice lines through it, my favorite part’s near the end talking about hypocrites/fake cats. Actually, hell, there’s too many quotable lines. Really, a dope, dope song. Peep it on youtube or something haha.

2) Soul Provider
Harder feeling to this. Beat’s ok, the scratches get annoying though. Nice, sick lyrics though. Really too many quotable lines on this one too, just sick lyrics, great flow.

3) Soul Amazin’ (Steel Blazin’)
Yeah, a song from the Below The Heavens album. Nice instrumental, really spiritual, and soulful (which is clearly what they were going for haha). Crazy flow, like usual. “Flow sweeter than swine/So any mic that I find, got a right to be hoggin’ it/Talkin’ shit, loudmouth, wild out, startin’ it/Alcoholic slaughter in my vocab department/So pardon if my talkin’ is slurred…”

4) Party Of Two
Love song…ish haha. Not liking the beat, but the lyrics are OK. Yeah, they’re pretty horny lol, and pretty much just like “yeah I wanna fuck you,” but still, nice lyricism amidst the limited subject matter. Chorus is meh, got a singer on it. But yeah, pretty good lines: “Love you got me awful/Cause you know I’m all for you/Plus I love it when you call me Blu.” Still, worst song of the 5.

5) The Narrow Path
Another from Below The Heavens. Good song, like the beat. Great lyrics, like usual. Nice vibe to the song. Talkin’ about walkin’ the road, the narrow path. Nice chorus, and overall just 5 minutes of nice lyricism. “Though I’ve managed to make it/I’ve damaged the places/Up in my mind/Life and times of Los Angeles’ greatest/Wasting time, wasting life spans fucking around/I’m spitting deep shit, stuck underground/So just dig it, I don’t fuck with it…”


Grade: A-
The EP is so short, that the misses are more noticeable. Tracks 3/4 just werent at the level as the other three, so i can't give this a perfect grade. Still definitely worth listening

- DKE

No comments: